Since 1973, Jim Balmer has represented thousands of people in all kinds of litigation, including jury trials, workers’ compensation trials and hearings, social security disability hearings, and appeals in those areas. He has handled car crash, slip-and-fall, worksite injuries, defective product claims, dog attack, liquor liability claims and other kinds of bodily injury-matters. Jim has lectured at various seminars, primarily in the areas of trial tactics and workers’ compensation issues.
Jim is admitted to practice before all Minnesota and Wisconsin courts, both state and Federal, and has tried cases throughout both states. He has argued cases before the Seventh United States Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago and the Eighth United States Circuit Court of Appeals, headquartered in St. Louis.
Jim is listed in the most-prestigious “Best Lawyers in America” as a personal injury specialist (one of the few to be so recognized in this part of Minnesota). Martindale-Hubbell, our nation’s leading legal services directory, has rated Jim’s legal ability/ethical standard at the top “AV”. Jim as been selected as a “Minnesota Super Lawyer” in both personal injury and workers’ compensation and has been listed as a Leading American Attorney during the same time period. He has had the additional distinction of being designated a “Top 40” Super Lawyer in both areas at various times, as well.
Jim has been certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1986 and by the Minnesota State Bar Association since 1989, the first year it began certifying trial specialists. Wisconsin does not have a system of trial specialist certification. He has been honored as an Advocate by the American Board of Trial Advocacy since 2002.
Jim was named the 2010 Volunteer Attorney of the Year for the Sixth Judicial District by the Volunteer Attorney Program. The award recognizes the lawyer who has given most generously of his or her time and talents to provide free legal help to lower income residents of Northeastern Minnesota.
Sailing, jogging and downhill skiing are Jim’s favorite recreational pursuits. He is also active in his local Roman Catholic parish.
Current Employment Position
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
Civil Trial Specialist (National Board of Trial Advocacy and Minnesota State Bar Association)
- Minnesota, 1973
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1985
- Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2008
- U.S District Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1986
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1973
- J.D. University of Minnesota-Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota, 1970 B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 – Present
- Minnesota Association for Justice (MAJ), 1985 – 1994 Board of Governors
- Duluth Trial Lawyers Association (DTLA), 1988 – 1989 President
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- 11th District Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Douglas County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates