Since 1989, Jim Peterson has represented injured people in various types of litigation, including trials, arbitrations, settlements, mediations, workers’ compensation matters, administrative hearings and social security disability hearings, as well as appeals in those areas.
Jim has represented people in work injuries, car accident, slip and fall, product liability, liquor liability, discrimination and Social Security Disability cases.
He has lectured at various seminars, primarily in the areas of workers’ compensation and personal injury.
Jim is a member of the Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, including serving on its board of governors. Each year he serves as chairperson of the mid-winter convention of the MTLA.
He is licensed to practice in the state and federal courts in Minnesota. He is peer-review rated Distinguished* through Martindale-Hubbell.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Minnesota, 1987
- Wisconsin, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1999
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. – 00/1987
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.A. – 1984
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: English
- Chairperson, Mid-Winter Convention of the MTLA
Honors and Awards
- Top 40 in Workers’ Compensation, Minnesota Law & Politics, Super Lawyer
- BV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association (MTLA), Board of Governors, 1997 to Present
- Duluth Trial Lawyers Association (DTLA), President, 1996 to 1997
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- 11th District Bar Association, Board of Directors, 1997 to 1999
- 11th District Bar Association, Secretary, 1999 to 2000
- 11th District Bar Association, President Elect, 2000 to 2001
- 11th District Bar Association, President, 2001 to 2002
- Minnesota Association for Justice (MAJ), Board of Governors, 1997 to 2006