||Phone: (218) 723-1990
Fax: (218) 723-1931
Legal Assistant – Sara Wittmers: email@example.com
Legal Assistant – Christine Curtis: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim is admitted to practice before all Minnesota and Wisconsin courts, both state and federal, and has tried cases throughout both states. He has argued cases before the Seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago and the Eighth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, headquartered in St. Louis.
His experience and familiarity with courtroom law results in Jim having been certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1986, over 30 years. He has been certified in this specialty by the Minnesota State Bar Association since 1987, the first year the MSBA recognized such specialty certification.
Jim has been a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates since 2002 and is currently ranked as a Diplomate, the most exclusive classification of non-judicial membership. He is the only Diplomate north of the Twin Cities.
Jim has been recognized as a Minnesota Super Lawyer in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury for well over 20 years.
Jim is listed in the prestigious “Best Lawyers in America” as a personal injury specialist representing plaintiffs. This same listing service has recognized Jim as Duluth area Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year in 2017 and 2019.
Jim was named the 2010 Volunteer Attorney of the Year for the Sixth Judicial District by the Volunteer Attorney Program. The award recognizes the lawyer who has given most generously of his or her time and talents to provide free legal help to lower income residents of northeastern Minnesota.
Sailing, jogging and downhill skiing are Jim’s favorite recreational pursuits. He is active in his local Roman Catholic parish. Jim is a past member and president of the Duluth Bethel Society and past member and vice-president of the Animal Allies Boards of Directors.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1986 – present
- Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association, 1989 – present
- Minnesota, 1973
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1985
- Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1986
University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota – J.D. – 1973
University of Minnesota-Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota – B.A. – 1970
- Engele v. ISD No. 91, 846 F. Supp. 760 (D.Minn.), 1994
- Stone v. Lakehead Constructors, 533 N.W.2d 36 (Minn., 1995)
- Rankin v. Mid-Century Insurance Co., No. C6-00-1657 (Minn.App. 2001)
- Soderberg v. Anderson, 922 N.W.2d 200 (Minn. 2019)
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 – Present
- Duluth Plaintiff’s Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2017, 2019
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Minnesota Super Lawyer
- Volunteer Attorney of the Year, Sixth Judicial District, Volunteer Attorney Program
- Diplomate, American Board of Trial Advocates, since 2002 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- 11th District Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate, 2002 – present
- Minnesota Association of Justice, 1985 – present
- American Association of Justice, 2016 – present
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President of The Duluth Bethel Society Board of Directors
- Past Vice President of Animal Allies Board of Directors